When we bought our Futura Pressure Cooker, it came with an instruction manual that included a number of recipes (and here you can find their online recipes). The dishes we have prepared thus far have all been a succes.
One that meanwhile has been considered a success among overlanders, is this cauliflower dish. So let me share it with you here.
As an overlander you depend on what ingredients you can find on the road, which requires improvising at some point in time. Just play with what you can find.
Before we had a hand blender, we chopped up the ingredients as much as possible. It is not the same as a smooth paste, obviously, but it did the job.
This has become our general version of the recipe (in brackets what is in the original recipe):
- Soak a cauliflower for about half an hour in 6 cups of water with 2 teaspoons of salt.
- Grind 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds and 2 tablespoons of peanuts (recipe: poppy seeds and cashew nuts; tastier but harder to get) into a paste, adding 3 tablespoons of water.
- Grind a short piece of ginger, a couple of flakes of garlic, and 2 green chillies into a paste.
- Heat oil in the pressure cooker and fry 2 chopped onions.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste.
- Add 2 peeled and chopped tomatoes.
- Add ½ teaspoon turmeric, 1 teaspoon coriander powder, ½ teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon red chili powder.
- Mix well, cook the tomatoes pulpy.
- Add ½ cup of coconut milk (curd), a little bit at the time and stir fry untill the oil shows separately.
- Add the cauliflower, fry on all sides with the masala.
- Add ½ cup water.
- Close cooker and bring to full pressure and let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Open cooker.
- Stir in sesame seeds and peanuts (poppy seeds and cashew nuts).
- Serve with rice.
Of course this works with other vegetables as well, e.g. broccoli.
It’s not the best food photo we took, but it is much tastier than it looks. Promise!
Enjoy your meal.
All Posts on Pressure Cooking
- Pressure Cooker 101
- Rice with Vegetables in the Pressure Cooker – The Easiest Meal in the World
- Steaming Vegetables in the Pressure Cooker – Easy & Delicious
- Cooking Soup in a Pressure Cooker
- Pressure Cooker Recipe – Creamy Leek and Sweet Potato Soup
- Landcruising Adventure's Homemade Hummus
- Pressure Cooker Dish - Masala Gobi (Spicy Cauliflower)
More Landcruising Adventure Stories: